Pages

Sunday, February 8, 2009

What's in a name?

Picking names has always been challenging. I remember when I was pregnant hearing a few helpful rules, or guidelines: 1. don't float ideas past friends and family, because if they hate a name and tell you, and then you pick it, you'll never forget it, 2. Don't pick a name that's too out there and creative, because your child will have to be really cool to pull it off, 3. don't spell things in a new funky way, because you will always be correcting people. I took these suggestions to heart when we were choosing the names for our children, but when it came time to think of a name for the new product I invented I was stuck.

I knew enough to know that "the removable, washable and waterproof car seat cover" wasn't exactly catchy, nor did it roll of the tongue, but where to go from there was leaving me drawing a blank. When I was speaking with my patent and trademark attorney he suggested I come up with a name that meant nothing. He said that many household names started that way, such as "crocs," "velcro," and "gibbitz," so it seemed like a good enough starting place to me. At that point, coming up with a name was easy. When my older daughter started talking there was a word that she used for anything that was soft, comfy or cozy, it was "nomie," and that stuck in our family. Friends even knew if a sweater or blankie was "nomie" it was a huge compliment, and something snugly! That's how nomie baby got it's name. I am hoping that the "nomie" word will continue to spread.

No comments:

Post a Comment