Pages

Friday, February 6, 2009

Is there ever too much?

I am new, very new, to blogging myself, but I have been getting to know about its reach in trying to spread the word about the nomie baby car seat cover.  I started by reaching out to mommy bloggers hoping they would "test drive" my new product, and then write a review on their blog, which I was told would lead people to the website to purchase one of their very own.  Many bloggers were receptive, and liked the idea of finding a new product, especially one that would make parents' lives easier.  It was, and still is exciting to read reviews real moms were writing.  Slowly I noticed that bloggers started contacting me, asking if they could review the newest "mommy-must-have."  I was thrilled and flattered that it was working.  People knew about the nomie baby car seat cover.  Word was getting out their through cyberspace.  I was thrilled!  Then I got an email yesterday from a friend, who' s wife is starting her own blog.  He asked if I would spread the word about it, and ask fellow moms with young children to sign up and spread the word.  I was happy to help her out, and asked if she would be willing to write about nomie baby.  I was pleasantly surprised, and disappointed by her response.  "Of course I've heard of the nomie, so I don't think that I can write about it."

Had all this out reach backfired?  Had nomie baby reached the point of being not being a new find, and therefore it was old news, not hip or cool?  If this is the case, had everything worked the way it was supposed to, or gone off the track?  One of my goals had been to make the nomie baby name as well known as Graco, Bugaboo, Baby Bjorn, which were all big question marks until moms and dads started talking about them.

I am still hopeful that all this social marketing and spreading the word will make nomie baby a recognizable baby product, and after all that won't work in the opposite direction.   I guess this is just another example of how important striking a balance always is.

2 comments:

  1. Hm...Perhaps it's time for a new approach. But first of all, congrats that nomiebaby was a household name for them! Perhaps if they know about it, you might want a unique way in which they used it, or if they blogged about an entertaining story that other mothers can relate to. In my opinion, a blogger's job should be to inform, entertain, enlighten, etc. So to not talk about something, to not add content to their blog, especially when it is about something that other people search for and want, is not beneficial to them. They just might need to find the right angle, is all...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Mista above, I think that there are some bloggers that need to find the newest of the new, but there are others that see the need to share an important product with their readers. From experience, nomie baby has just saved me hours of cleaning in my son's car seat, who knew a banana could make such a mess!

    ReplyDelete