Pages

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Baked vs. Bought

Today was my littlest's birthday celebration at nursery school, which means we are allowed in the room for a treat, a special birthday necklace, books chosen and cupcakes!  What could be better?  Yesterday was spent talking about it a lot, and baking our first cupcakes together.  I pulled the stool up to counter, gave her her own spoon to help me stir, and she put the Dora paper cupcake holders in the pan.  Then we spent, what seemed like a long time waiting for them to cook AND cool while we discussed how to decorate them.  Of course they would have yellow frosting, since that's her favorite color, and sprinkles and polka dots all over.  When we were done they looked wonderfully homemade, and she was so excited to share them with all her friends and teachers.

We arrived at school with a box of cupcakes,which made it through the trip undamaged, and  "Spot's Birthday Party" to read to the class.  The door was opened, and my husband and I were shown to our little chairs on either side of the birthday girl.  The whole celebration was so sweet. Then it was cupcake time.  We all sat at the table, decorated our place and waited patiently for our treats.  When we were all served the cupcakes,  of the teachers leaned over and said, "Of all the birthday celebrations, this is the first time all year we've seen homemade cupcakes."  I was both shocked and sad, since it's not only so easy to make them, but it is so much fun, and a great way to spend time together.

Many say, "Well, I work, when am I supposed to do it?"  So do I.  It just doesn't take that much time, it is such a treat, and so much fun to spend the time together, not to mention the pride in my daughter's face as she saw everyone licking their fingers and enjoying every last sprinkle!

No comments:

Post a Comment