Pages

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Collectively We can Do So Much to Help Haiti

The pictures and stories coming out of Haiti each day are horrific and unimaginable. As a mother, I can't begin to think about the pain of not being able to contact your child, or know if they are ok or not. As a person watching the news reports I can't comprehend what a massive undertaking the rescue mission must be, and why more isn't happening faster? The urge to jump on a plane and do "what ever" has occurred to me repeatedly, but then I wonder if I wouldn't be more in the way at the point than anything else. Still, not doing anything is not acceptable to me. Sitting comfortably watching from inside my home with plenty of food, water, clothing, care, surrounded by my family and friends, I still feel the necessity to reach out and help.

I have clicked on a number of websites, including The Red Cross , UNFPA, and Doctors without Borders and made donations, which was very easy to do, and I understand that many many many others have done the same, which is incredible. Not only do the organization make it easy, but trusted sources such as ABC News, have lists of reputable organization putting your donations to the best uses. There are also organizations, such as Collective-E, who are gathering and collecting information from members that make doing your part, easier, because the reality is, most people do want to do something, whether it's collecting clothing, having a bake sale, or donating a portion of sales to the relief efforts. Still I know so much more is needed, and can be done. Therefore, I have decided to donate $5 from every order placed on www.nomiebaby.com from now until Valentine's day. The mission of nomie baby is to develop and sell products that solve problems for parents, making their lives easier, so this is a natural.

It is very reaffirming and heartwarming to know that when there are people in need, there are people ready to help. I am still hoping to go to Haiti and help when it would be a productive.

No comments:

Post a Comment