Pages

Monday, July 27, 2009

Giving Back


For years, I have been involved in various volunteer positions at Mt. Sinai Hospital, always finding them worthwhile and interesting. However, when I ended up in the hospital myself, 10 weeks before my due date with my youngest, I got to see the hospital from the other side, and was overwhelmed by the care, concern and professionalism of everyone I encountered. When my baby was born, she spent over a month in the NICU (neonatal intensive care unit), and I was daily thankful for all that the doctors and nurses did for our whole family. It then became clear to me that this was the area where my heart was, and where I wanted to focus my energies.

When I started nomie baby, which happened by a happy accident, literally, since it resulted from a spill, I always knew that it would be more than a business. It was inspired by my littlest, and I knew that it would not only be a way to help parents solve their messy problems, but it would enable me to give back to the NICU. A percentage of all profits go to Mt. Sinai's NICU, which give me a larger mission, and make my desire to make it a real success even greater. Through much of my work, I have found that many women entrepreneurs use their businesses to help give back, which makes working with them feel as if we are going beyond simply the business at hand! Giving back has always been important, but now everything seems to have come full circle, and successes seem to have a larger impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment