Pages

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Tips for Taking Great Pictures of Your Kids

Summer is a wonderful, relaxed time of year.  Days are longer, there's more time with the family, which often means terrific photo ops! I know there have been many times that I have been with my family and thought, "Oh, this would be a perfect time to take pictures of the kids."  Either I didn't have my camera ready, no one else was in the mood, or everyone came out in shadow.  To help capture these moments in the best possible way, I asked one of my favorite photographers, Kim Washam, who specializes in  New York City newborn photography, but is also amazing with older children.   Kim shared some of her tips for taking great pictures of kids.  I am thrilled to pass them along... enjoy!



  • Some kids are born smiley, some are not.  There's a sweet spot in my heart for those "pensive" little faces.  They are so inquisitive!
  • Avoid shooting in direct sun.  Open shade is great lighting. Under playscapes, building overhands, or inside facing windows.
  • Children get sick, it rains, blood sugars get low, or your 'littles' just might refuse a picture.  If any of these things happen during a session or when you think you see a "perfect shot" just be patient, the goods will come when you least expect it. ( Remember to keep your camera handy!)
  • My favorite line with the 4-6 year old crowd is, "Are you married yet?"  This is as natural as a smile gets.  Try it!
Add caption

No comments:

Post a Comment